Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Triumphant Return

I've noticed that I've been incredibly delinquent with my blog posting. For a decent stretch, I was posting things pretty consistently, but alas -- it was not to be for long. Not since Easter have I posted anything, and here we are with the 4th of July upon us (aka the funnest holiday ever).

I'm here now to say 'no more!' I've somehow accumulated maybe 200 hits since the last time I logged in here, so that could very well be 200 people who are seeing nothing new. Or it could be one person that has been so anxious to see something new they've logged in approximately 2-3 times every day since my last post. Or I could be completely mistake and people could just be fond of the adorable killer rabbits from Night of the Lepus. Regardless, somebody's been looking at a lot of old news.

It's time for me to do some of this 'time management' that the business-types, like my boss, are always telling me I should get better at. For starters, I got one of these 'Black Jack' telephones. Did you know you can get Internet and electronic mail on your telephone now? Heck, this thing even has an alarm! Of course, it also has a 'to do' list application and one of my list's items has been 'blog' for a couple weeks. Honestly, there hasn't been a lot for me to say lately aside from "I'm so stoked for The Dark Knight" or "I'm sad that the Martian Manhunter is dead," so I decided to take a look at what exactly keeps me so busy from writing here when I am flooded with ideas after the jump.



Remember these pie chart things? There's a blast from the past. Now again, I'm not one of these 'business meeting' types, so I haven't seen a pie chart since high school. However, I think I've managed to figure out the inner-workings of it to properly break down where all of my time flies and maybe excuse myself for my extended absence from the blogosphere. Of course, I'm going to go on to explain each of these items a little bit further for you.

Work (30%) - Yes, since moving to NYC, I've had one of these Monday through Friday type jobs and no longer have the luxury of sitting around watching Price is Right with my mornings. Of course, these jobs take up a significant chunk of your day. Since the last post especially I've been inundated with the likes of the Tribeca Film Festival and Nantucket Film Festival, where I went on an adventure with Judd Apatow (not quite, but he was there).

Sleep (20%) - Boy, this one's a real time killer. Do you know how much more stuff I've gotten done while I wasn't sleeping? Way more than I did while I was asleep, that's for sure. These are at the very least 5 hours out of my day where I am literally just laying around in my underwear. It's like all those sitcom episodes where the bumbling dad is out of work and the wife is fed up and says "Ralph! You have to find a job!" or what have you. See, if these unemployed sitcom dads were smarter they would just be asleep since it's obviously ok to do so then. If they were smarter, I'm sure they'd be employed too.

Napping (10%) - Here's the catch -- as much time as I feel is wasted when I sleep, my body just can't get enough of it. As much as I don't like to, sometimes when I'm just sitting around -- watching TV, sitting at the computer, riding the subway -- my body is like "Hey, you know what's a good idea? Some sleep. Time for a nap." Ridiculous.

Subway (10%) - Not the restaurant -- they tricked me into eating their gross Philly Cheesesteak sub once and I haven't looked back. I'm talking about transportation. While not having to drive a car around is a pretty sweet deal, the subway can be pretty lame when the MTA says "Hey, there's some rain. Better hold off on letting the trains run," or "Well those two hours of the week the B train runs are over, good luck finding a way home." The good thing about the subway is that it often can be used for plenty of much more useful things, such as reading comic books.

Denny Crane (10%) - Ever watch Boston Legal? Because you should. It's amazing. William Shatner is consistently brilliant. James Spader, too. I just got Season 1 on DVD, and I could easily spend this much time watching this show all the time. Denny Crane doesn't believe in a no-win situation. Denny Crane.

Grooming (5%) - I'm a handsome man, so I have to take care of myself to make sure it stays that way. Especially with summer here and living in an apartment on the 4th floor with no AC, I have to shower 2-3 times a day sometimes. It's really quite ridiculous.


Shopping (5%) - This often ends up being more practical than it sounds. It's not like shoe shopping. Ever hear of grocery shopping, people? Considering all of the food shops in my neighborhood are bodegas, I generally have to do all of my shopping in Manhattan which is an effort in itself. Of course, this also takes into account my binges at the Virgin Megastore with their $10 DVD's and the fact I cannot go near Union Square without entering Forbidden Planet.

And now we are left with the final ten percent, which is what the blog is left to fight with. Unforeseen things often come up, such as phone calls from loved ones, having to mess around with my iTunes library, or quality time spent at a beloved pub such as The Slaughtered Lamb or Barcade. Of course, I cannot allow myself to continue being so negligent with my bloggering here. While I don't think I'm quite ready to spare some quality Boston Legal-watching time to write up a blog, there's always the advantage of not having to look your best to write about stuff on the Internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the 3 - 4 times a day.....that was me.

You're my hero & I was going into Brando withdrawals.

Thank you for the new blog.

I have missed them.