Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Opening the X-Files

It has recently come to my attention that I will be seeing the new X-Files movie when it comes out this weekend. I think the movie looks great and all, but there is a major obstacle I must overcome: I was not a fan of the show. That's right, the resident geek missed out on the X-Files. It looks like a fine program, but DVR didn't exist in the 90's so I never hopped on board.



While in Best Buy recently, I came across a new DVD: X-Files Revelations -- a 2 disc set of episodes handpicked by Chris Carter as a primer for schlubs like myself who will be seeing the movie having seen little to none of the series. Naturally, I picked it up -- AND it includes free X-Files movie money. An automatic return on my investment!

As I'm watching the episodes, one thing stands out overall: the opening sequence. Boy, does it look tacky. I feel like Chris Carter didn't expect the series to get picked up and said "Uh oh, better throw something together. Well here's a photo of a flying saucer we can put in. What else is creepy? Eyes are pretty spooky, let's put that in here. And those bitchin' static electricity balls they have in Spencer's gifts!" I don't know why my version of Chris Carter talks like Michael Bay probably does, but have a look for yourself:



At the same time, it's pretty appropriate for this series. Let's forget about the theme song -- the music is obviously great. Tacky as it may look, the visuals have a good thing going on. The low production value reminds me a lot of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries or one of those UFO shows they show on the History Channel fairly regularly. Kind of a nice homage for crackpots such as myself who are all about those kind of shows. It's also nice to finally see what insane fanboys watched on TV before LOST came along.

1 comment:

kroneko said...

Sadly - I'm in the same boat. I'd watch a few episodes here and there, and not have a damn clue about what's going on, conspiracy this, secret man that, that's what you get though for watching random episodes out of order though. I'm waiting for the series price to drop, then I'll pick it up and watch it all.

One good thing about that opening - it's short! Could have gone on for like 2 more minutes, and have guys laying on beds of nails, kids poking a body with a stick, snippets of video from "Ring", and for good measure the dwarf in Poltergeist standing next to a flickering tv.