Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Did the NYPD target me for a joke?

Last night I was walking from the subway to my apartment in Brooklyn, something I obviously do every night and have done every night for over a year now. I had my phone out and was 'Tweeting' as the kids call it, and this car cop is driving alongside me as does the 'beep beep' thing. You know, not the actual horn, but when they have the mini-siren kind of sound. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it was that.

Anyway, I thought nothing of it and kept walking. I wasn't doing anything wrong. Then they did it again and I look over and they're beckoning me to come over to the car. I walk over and there were two cops. The conversation that ensued between the cop in the passenger seat and I can be seen after the jump.


Cop: "Hey, how much you pay for that phone?"
Me: "I dunno, like $150 or something maybe?"
Cop: "Yeah? Well, you like that phone?"
Me: "It's alright I suppose."
Cop: "Well if you like that phone you better keep it away. You know why? Ya gonna get robbed!"
Me: "Um.. oh?"
Cop: "This isn't like Manhattan where you go walking around with that stuff. You know how they rob you?"
Me: "Uh, how?"
Cop: "At gunpoint!!!!!!!1"

At this point, I'd like to add, I begin to notice that the other cop in the car was smirking. In fact, I'd say he was trying not to laugh.

Me: "Oh, well.. I walk through here twice a day and never really thought.."
Cop: "Like I said this isn't safe like Manhattan. Where you live?"
Me: "Right around the corner."
Cop: "Yeah? You ever see anything that shouldn't be going on?"
Me: "Hmm.. not really.."

At this point in the conversation I realized I should have told him about how people always honk their horns at obnoxious hours and don't pick up dog crap from the sidewalk.

Cop: "Alright keep your phone put away."
Me: "Ok. Goodnight."

Through this entire conversation, the other cop was trying not to laugh. Again, I've lived in this neighborhood for over a year now, and although some may think it looks seedy, I've never seen anything bad go on or heard of anything happening. I'm pretty sure I was a subject of bored police and/or reverse-racial profiling as the only white kid walking around the neighborhood after dark. It's not a bad neighborhood and I wish those cops spent their time in a more productive way, like fining people who let their dogs shit all over the sidewalk.

1 comment:

megan harwood said...

what a waste of your time. nothing like cops TRYING to put unnecessary fear into people. what jerks. good luck with your stellar police dept.