Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Um, did Superman and Lois just uh.....

Wednesday is probably the most notable day in my week because it's when comic books come out. Today I was reading Superman #679, and DC has been giving me high hopes for this new writer on the book because he's apparently been working closely with Man-god Geoff Johns, but there was something strange a-brewing in the latest issue.

Usually it's hard to avoid looking at a splash page or a half page panel before getting the whole picture. This is one instance where it was particularly gross. The last panel of the second page was this, and again, since the panel is so big this is the only thing I saw:

So I see that image and my inner monologue voice changes to that of Stan Hooper, a character Norm MacDonald plays on his comedy album who works at the Daily Planet in a sketch. Stan Hooper is in my head saying, "So.. those are some nice underwear you've got there, Lois."

But something more is amiss here....



After I'm done observing looking at that for the moment I go on to read the beginning of the scene, which is Lois and Clark having an mild spat about going to see Zatanna's show. Lois is just being a jealous broad in this scene, talking about how Zatanna is all sexy and wears fishnets. But then... she adds this to the reasons she's feeling insecure:

Wait, WHAT?! WHAT JUST HAPPENED!!!?? Hold on a second now, writer James Robinson!! Now first of all, I know that nowadays comic books are trying to be more grounded in reality at times, but.. do you think we REALLY need to hear Lois talk about her time of the month?

And then!!!! Then...!

Awwwwwwww come on! Period sex? Really? Jeeeeeeez, that's just nasty. I hope DC steps in and pulls Daniel Robinson off the book altogether and just hands it over to Geoff Johns for now while they (hopefully) find a writer who won't have Superman simply fight big strong monsters. And they won't randomly say "Hey why don't we bring Lois' Aunt Flo in for a visit?" I also hope Dan DiDio throws a brick in his face for his troubles.

Seriously, this might be worse than Frank Miller's "The Goddamn Batman" book, because at least that book's funny sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Superman can stop her period. Maybe that's one of his powers.

Anonymous said...

At least she's wearing hot panties