Saturday, March 1, 2008

Jukebox Hero

When I make my weekend travels, I enjoy going to bars specifically that have internet jukebox. In the event I find one, I usually like to play the types of songs that would normally clear the place because I just get a kick out of it. Frequently, my playlists include "Batdance" by Prince, "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger, "Dream Warriors" by Dokken, and "Batdance" another time or two.

Last night in a midtown bar, I experienced a travesty that I have not incurred since Gavin and I performed "Batdance" at karaoke. In the midst of a playlist that included Squeeze's "Up the Junction" (just because I like it) and the "Last Caress" by The Misfits (just because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside), I had my coup de gras on deck --"The Flame" by Cheap Trick aka the Ultimate Power Ballad.

People seemed to be enjoying "The Flame." I mean, why not? It's the Ultimate Power Ballad. One dude was trying to sing along. Young Elvis Mitchell (not Elvis Mitchell himself, but a guy who looked like a young version of him) was using the tremendous mood-setting music to hit on some other dude's girlfriend. Like I said,
this is the Ultimate Power Ballad. Everytime I hear it, it makes me think of Desmond and Penny on Lost, because that's greatest love story of our time.

But the bartender apparently had something against this. Maybe he's friends with the guy who's dating that chick Young Elvis Mitchell was hitting on. Or perhaps the man just can't appreciate a good slow jam. I don't know. Whatever the reason, he was driven to shut the song off halfway through. Bastard.

At least the song he put on instead was "Thriller".

No comments: